Principal: Mary Cleary
Contact: 065 708 4599
Rockmount National School was built in 1864 for one hundred and fifty children at a cost of £416 including a grant of £277. It replaced Ballinoe National School and a hedge school in Carrowkeel (Ballyvaskin). Ballinoe National School which was situated close to Ballinoe Bridge on the L2118 was established in 1852 and it in turn had replaced a hedge school situated on the same site. This hedge school was run by Mr. Thomas Nash and catered for two boys and five girls. Children from the locality also attended the Carrowkeel (Ballyvaskin) hedge school which was situated in the northern triangle of the junction between the Kilfarboy Road (L2112) and the road back to Illane (L21122). It was run by Mr. Timothy Connor and catered for twenty eight boys and seven girls.
Rockmount National School first opened its doors in 1865 with Mr. Ned Kennelly Principal of the Boys’ School and Mrs. Curtin Principal of the Girls’ School. Originally the room on the eastern side was the Boys’ School with a partition allowing two teachers to work.
Similarly, the Girls’ School had two teachers. The total pupil population was up to 150.
The two schools amalgamated on January 1st 1936 with Mr. John Kennelly as Principal.
The school was built from local stone taken from nearby quarries. One feature in each hallway was a stone trough which was used as a “foot bath” for the bare footed children of the time.
Rockmount National School stands over 600 feet above sea-level with a beautiful view of the broad Atlantic, the Shannon, Cliffs of Moher, the Macgillycuddy’s Reek and the Twelve Pins in Connemara.
Over the past twenty years the school has been extended, completely refurbished and a playing pitch has been developed adjacent to the school.